This is the most recent and/or interesting publications. For a complete list, or mostly complete, best to look at one of the following indices.
Please don’t use ResearchGate or other commercial, walled-garden ‘aggregators’; email me and I will track down a preprint for you.
- George Mathew, Tim Menzies, Neil A. Ernst, John Klein, “Shorter Reasoning About Larger Requirements Models”, International Requirements Engineering Conference, Porto, 2017. arXiv:1702.05568
- Neil A. Ernst, Stephany Bellomo, Ipek Ozkaya, Robert Nord, “What to Fix? Distinguishing between design and non-design rules in automated tools”, International Conference on Software Architecture, Gothenburg, 2017. preprint • long version • blog post
- Neil A. Ernst, Mary Popeck, Felix Bachmann, Patrick Donohoe, Creating Software Modernization Roadmaps: The Architecture Options Workshop”. Working International Conference on Software Architecture (WICSA), Venice, Italy, 2016. preprint
- Neil A. Ernst, Stephany Bellomo, Robert Nord, Ipek Ozkaya, Ian Gorton: “Measure It, Manage It, Ignore It: Software Practitioners and Technical Debt”. International Conference on Foundations of Software Engineering/European Software Engineering Conference (ESEC/FSE), Bergamo, Italy, 2015. Distinguished paper award. (Acceptance rate: 25.4%, 291 submissions). Data • preprint • blog • slides
- John Klein, Ian Gorton, Neil A. Ernst, Patrick Donohoe, Kim Pham, Christian Matser, “Application-specific evaluation of NoSQL databases”, International Big Data Congress, New York, 2015.
- Stephany Bellomo, Neil A. Ernst, Robert L. Nord, Rick Kazman: “Toward Design Decisions to Enable Deployability: Empirical Study of Three Projects Reaching for the Continuous Delivery Holy Grail’’. International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks, Atlanta, pp. 702-707, 2014.
- Neil A. Ernst, A. Borgida, J. Mylopoulos, I. Jureta, “Agile Requirements Evolution via Paraconsistent Reasoning”, International Conference on Advanced Information Systems Engineering (CAISE), Gdansk, Poland, June 2012. preprint • slides
- N. A. Ernst, A. Borgida, I. Jureta, “Finding Incremental Solutions for Evolving Requirements,” International Conference on Requirements Engineering, Trento: September, 2011. pre-print • slides
- N. A. Ernst, J. Mylopoulos, A. Borgida, and I. J. Jureta, “Reasoning with Optional and Preferred Requirements,” International Conference on Conceptual Modeling (ER), Vancouver: November, 2010. preprint • slides
- Ivan J. Jureta, Alex Borgida, Neil A. Ernst, John Mylopoulos, “Techne: Towards a New Generation of Requirements Modeling Languages with Goals, Preferences, and Inconsistency Handling”, International Conference on Requirements Engineering (RE), Sydney: September, 2010. preprint
- Ivan J. Jureta, Alexander Borgida, Neil A. Ernst, and John Mylopoulos. “The requirements problem for adaptive systems”. ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems, 5(3):17:1–17:33, September 2014. preprint publisher
- Neil A. Ernst, Alexander Borgida, Ivan J. Jureta, John Mylopoulos, “Agile requirements engineering via paraconsistent reasoning”, Information Systems, 43: 100–116, July 2014. preprint - publisher (invited extended version of conference paper 1 below)
- A. Hindle, N. A. Ernst, M. Godfrey, J. Mylopoulos, “Automated topic naming to support cross-project analysis of software maintenance activities,” Empirical Software Engineering Journal, May 2012. (invited extended version of the MSR paper) preprint publisher Data/addenda
- Neil A. Ernst, M.-A. Storey, P. Allen, “Cognitive Support for Ontology Modeling”, Int. J. Human-Computer Studies, 62 (5), May 2005, Pages 553-577. pdf
Workshops, Book sections and Posters
- Neil A. Ernst, A. Borgida, I. Jureta, J. Mylopoulos, “An Overview of Requirements Evolution”, in T. Mens, A. Serebrenik, A. Cleve (eds.): Evolving Software Systems, pp 3–32, Springer, 2014. paywall
- N. Ernst, I. Ozkaya, R. Nord, J. Delange, S. Bellomo, I. Gorton, “Understanding the Role of Constraints on Architecturally Significant Requirements”, International Workshop on the Twin Peaks of Requirements and Architecture (TwinPeaks) at RE, Rio de Janeiro, July 2013. preprint
- Neil A. Ernst, Gail Murphy, “Case Studies in Just-In-Time Requirements Analysis”, International Workshop on Empirical Requirements Engineering at RE, Chicago, September 2012. preprint - slides
- Neil A. Ernst, “On the Role of Requirements in Understanding and Managing Technical Debt”, position paper at _International Workshop on Managing Technical Debt _at ICSE, Zurich, June 2012. preprint - slides
- Jorge Aranda, Neil A. Ernst, Jennifer Horkoff, S. M. Easterbrook, A Framework for Empirical Evaluation of Model Comprehensibility, International Workshop on Modeling in Software Engineering (MiSE-07), at the 29th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE’07), Minneapolis, USA, 19-20 May 2007.
- Neil A. Ernst, Y. Yu, J. Mylopoulos, “Visualizing non-functional requirements”, presented at Workshop on Requirements Engineering Visualization at RE 2006, Minneapolis, September 11, 2006. slides
- M. A. Storey, M. A. Musen, J. Silva, C. Best, N. Ernst, R. Fergerson, and N. F. Noy, “Jambalaya: Interactive visualization to enhance ontology authoring and knowledge acquisition in Protege,” presented at Workshop on Interactive Tools for Knowledge Capture, K-CAP-2001, Victoria, B.C. Canada, 2001. pdf
Tech reports (aka unaccepted papers)
- Neil Ernst, Stephany Bellomo, Robert L. Nord, and Ipek Ozkaya, “Enabling Incremental Iterative Development at Scale: Quality Attribute Refinement and Allocation in Practice”, SEI/CMU-2015-TR-008, 2015.
- Ivan Jureta, Alexander Borgida, Neil A. Ernst, “Mixed-Variable Requirements Roadmaps and their Role in the Requirements Engineering of Adaptive Systems”. arXiv:1102.4178.
- N. A. Ernst, “Software Evolution: A Requirements Engineering Approach”. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Toronto, 2011. pdf (224 pages)
- N. A. Ernst, “Towards Cognitive Support in Knowledge Engineering: An Adoption-Centred Customization Framework for Visual Interfaces”, unpublished M.Sc. thesis, University of Victoria, 2004. pdf